Friday, November 28, 2008
Collins Mill, North Wilbraham The "Moodus Drum and Fife Corps" in front of Collins Inn at North Wilbraham. Moodus is in CT, the drum shows the date 1860. The group exists to this day: Moodus Drum and Fifes Corps. A visitor to this site [Joe's Wilbraham Photo History Page] writes "My opinion based on the men's clothing and hair styles (and especially those derby or bowler hats worn by several of the men) is that this photo dates from the late 1800s, say maybe 1890 or 1900. Several of the gentlemen standing behind the corps members look to be Civil War vets, wearing their decorations, most likely on Independence Day in Wilbraham".
Note that, notwithstanding the comment about bowler hats being from the late 19th century, see this from wikipedia:
The bowler hat, also known as a derby (US) or billycock, is a hard felt hat with a rounded crown originally created in 1849 for Edward Coke, the younger brother of the 2nd Earl of Leicester. The bowler hat was devised in 1849 by the London hatmakers Thomas and William Bowler to fulfil an order placed by the firm of hatters Lock & Co. of St. James's, a company established in 1676 which is still in business.
And this from Hats in the Belfry:
The Bowler Hat, also known as The Derby Hat, was introduced in the 1850's. The Bowler hat is the first hat credited for being mass produced and priced to meet everyone's budget, because of this the Derby Hats were worn by virtually every class of society.
at November 28, 2008
New Old Stock, In the Box, ca. 1998 or later McDonagh 10-hole Regimental Model Fife with Fingering Chart
A friend came upon a new, old stock, in the box, 10-hole McDonagh fife, Regimental Model, complete with fingering chart. And he gave it to...
In a little known grave in south-western Marion County, Indiana, lie the remains of an old soldier traditionally acclaimed as "George W...
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=012sPPQ9cYo&sns=em . https://youtu.be/012sPPQ9cYo