Capt. Thos. Espy Post No. 153
Library Building: Carnegie, Penna.
N56. Mid-19th century drum, manufactured by J. W. Horsthaus & Son, 51 N. 3rd St., Philadelphia [Ed. Note: Could that have been misread from "Horstmann"? The tack pattern resembles some seen on known Horstmann drums pictured in this blog (search Horstmann for examples)], was used in training the St. Clair Guards prior to its mustering into the Civil War as the 62nd Pennsylvania. The militia would meet next to Captain Thomas Espy's white farmhouse, now the site of St. Gregory Byzantine Catholic Church, 2005 Mohawk Rd., Upper St. Clair. Drum previously in possession of Nancy Philips, great great granddaughter of Captain Espy, who grew up in that farmhouse. Donated by Elizabeth Edwards, May 2006, whose late husband was married to Philips until her death.
63. Drum and stick. Was presented to Zacharias T. Benedick, drum boy of Co. A, 126th Ohio Vol. Infantry, by the members of his company, February 5, 1863. The drum was carried by him until his discharge at the close of the war, 1865. The drum and drummer boy passed through the following battles: Manases Gap, Va.; Warenton, Va.; Foxes Ford, Va.; Bristo Station, Va.; Keyses Ford, Va.; Locust Grove, Va.; Mine Run, Va.; Wilderness, Va.; Spottsylvania, Va.; Cold Harbor, Va.; Petersburg, Va.; Weldon Railroad, Va.; Winchester, Va.; Fishers Hill, Va.; Cedar Creek, Va., back to Petersburg, Va., and Sailors Creek, Va. On this drum was sounded the first long roll, calling Sheridan's army to arms at Cedar Creek, October 19, 1864, when Sheridan was 20 miles away. The cap box and belt plate were used by him. Have been in his possession 43 years. Secured from him for Memorial Hall, February 15, 1906. Wood drum; 16" diameter, 10" deep; top head is broken and split; rings intact; bottom head intact; tensioner (1 strand) is broken; one ebony stick missing. Red-tagged as N8. Fair condition. Location: Section C, atop display case.
See the on-line resources of the Carnegie Library for additional information.