Thursday, March 17, 2011

Two Field Drums

Hello,

I am writing to you about two field drums I have and would like to find out more about them. They have been in our family at least since my parents were married in 1946. My mother says they were 'always around' since then (my father died in 1964).  I used them as side tables since my teens and they have been in storage for the last 20 years.

I found your web site today when I was trying to find out if they were worth anything to help me decide the best way to dispose of them. Your site has given me a new appreciation of them, but we don't have the room for them.

The green one says 'sons of liberty' in the banner above the eagle. There are nine faint red stars  spread either side of the eagle and nine stripes depicted on the shield. The paint is bubbling on parts and it has no leather or parchment. It measures 14 inches high and 15 across.

The tall one (18" H x 14" W) has  a crown with GR monogram below and LXIV below that. Quick research suggests that this was of the British Kings 8th infantry. It has ropes in bad shape and some leather, but I'm not sure it is original. In fact, I'm not sure these are genuine drums or made for re-enactments in later years.

Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
[name withheld]
Tucson, AZ

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>
>

1 comment:

  1. These are very intriguing pieces! Did you ever receive an answer regarding possible provenance to the American Revolution?

    ReplyDelete

Please add to our knowledge by leaving a comment here.

P.R. Winn, Drummaker

An article by W. Lee Vinson, author and publisher of BostonDrumBuilders.com and blog.BostonDrumBuilders.com . For Lee's story about ...