Thursday, November 13, 2008

17th Lancers Regimental Side Drum

Even though this drum falls outside the usual scope of this blog's coverage (American field drums), I think that it may be a Potter drum and of sufficient historical significance to merit our attention.


eBay seller curassier( 673) describes eBay item no. 190265248454 as follows:

FULL SIZE, AUTHENTIC ROPE-TENSIONED SIDE DRUM FOR THE 17TH LANCERS (DUKE OF CAMBRIDGE'S OWN) ALL HAND PAINTED IN MODERN ERA BY C.A. COLLINS, BATTLE HONOURS UP UNTIL AMALGAMATION WITH THE 21ST LANCERS IN 1922. IN GREAT CONDITION; A VERY IMPRESSIVE DISPLAY PIECE. DRUMSKINS IN FINE SHAPE.

By email I asked the seller whether the drum was vintage or a relatively recent reproduction. The reply came from shoafrs@aol.com:

I believe it is an old Potter drum that has been refurbished in the last 10-15 years, since I have owned the drum for over 10 years. As you may know, the 17th Lancers amalgamated with the 21st Lancers in 1922, and I do not believe the drum dates back that far. I am only selling since I want to buy a Grenadier Guards drum, and I only have room for one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add to our knowledge by leaving a comment here.

P.R. Winn, Drummaker

An article by W. Lee Vinson, author and publisher of BostonDrumBuilders.com and blog.BostonDrumBuilders.com . For Lee's story about ...